Friday, March 13, 2009

DJ WALKS

 words, questions, and easter eggs c/o THEREALDEAL














disc jockey 
–noun
1. a person who conducts a radio broadcast consisting of recorded music, informal talk, commercial announcements, etc.
2. a person who selects, plays, and announces records at a discotheque
Close your eyes. You just finished walking down some dirt road to some party at some house you've never been to but your friend insists "it's gonna crack dude, shut the fuck up and wait." Reluctantly you walk into the house after walking through a yard littered by big wheels, blankets, other childrens toys and 2 dogs. (Who for some reason look menacing, yet lick EVERYTHING you're wearing) You get into the house and see 3 drunk girls walk by with half of nothing on. Things are picking up :) .haha. You reach the backyard and see everyone vibin' out to... THE PARAMOUNT PICTURES THEME SONG? What the fuck?
DJWALKS must be here.
Who are you and why should I care?
I go by the moniker DJ Walks and you should know me because if you don't know me already you are probably missing out.
Age: 22 years of age
Planet: Earth, definitely.
State: C-a-l-i-4-n-i-a
Side: Riverside
Do you have any formal training? GED, Do you go to school? Are you qualified to do anything?
Currently enrolled in my 3rd year at UCR, pursuing a psychology degree. I am basically qualified to operate a computer and television. I'm also qualified to watch children in a nursery.
You have a degree for that or something?
I have a certificate for early childhood studies
Why?
Because my whole degree revolves around child psychology.
What kind of equipment do you use?
I use a computer with live audio mixing equipment, virtual DJ, Audio Mulch, and a Gem Sounds cd turntable mixer
What sort of music do you DJ?
Mostly hop hop, buti also mix in soul music, rock music, reggae music.. And that's about it.
Top 5 songs to get a party cracking? (in no particular order)
1. Snoop Dogg -Whats My Name
2. DMX - Party Up
3. MOP Ante up remix
4. T.I.- Get Loose
5. Dr Dre feat. Snoop Dogg -The Next Episode
So I've listened to your music, and you seem to use a lot of TV and movie samples, (Such as samples from The Simpsons and The Office) as well as this idea bout the "gratuitous use of the siren". What's up with that?
Due to the fact that I really really hate when
DJs mess up songs that you just start vibing to and there's some really annoying DJ break, you know- or some shit-
DJ drop?
Some DJ drop that you don't wanna hear in the middle of the song, I just get it out of the way so -i only do it at the beginning of the song. Its just my ode to being a cliche DJ, and having to have that cliche DJ drop in there.
Why the siren?
Honestly its because its the first effect that I had on my computer so I started using it.
What's up with all the TV and movie samples?
I, basically love TV. Tv/movies/music are probablythe biggest things in my life. Outside of, whatever. Those are the biggest interests in my entertainment values. I'll think about songs when I hear stuff in TV and its just a way to messwith my head when I DJ. I'll play a random clip and then whatever  song comes in my head- I'll play a random clip- like word association- and it'll go with my song.
Do you assume that an avid listener will understand that? Does it even matter?
It doesn't matter, but if they don't I hope that it would probably intrigue them to figure out what it means
You're playing a party this month. Where is it? And how can I get invited?
Ok well, due to unforseen circumstances I had to postpone that party until May, but it is still gonna be cracking. At my house. I believe... :: checks calendar:: May.. Yeah. The party will be crackin' on Saturday, May 9th.
So the party's postponed?
Yes.
Wack.














"I'm not out there to DJ a party to get a girl to start shakin' her ass."
Why DJing?
I have been into music for- I really started listening to music when I was 12. I used to play music, but I'm not good at making music. I tried to figure out what element of hip-hop I could do best because I wanted to take part in hip_hop as something other than just a listener. I'm good at listening to music so I figured, "What can I do with listening to music- I gotta be a DJ." That's my contribution to hip hop.
What DJs are you into these days?
Number 1 favorite DJ right now is DJ Skee. I also listen to DJ Z trip and DJ Exile for sure.
What's your style?
Style?
Like are you a Mike Carroll kickflip? or a Koston kickflip? Is this like a get-it-done.. or time-is-worth-the-wait? what's goin on here?
My style is an insight into my mind. My mind is all over the place all the time
Do you have ADD?
No, I do not have ADD. Well, I've never been diagnosed with ADD...
So what you're saying is you have ADD, and now you're a doctor?
It's my attempt at an insight into my mind. I try to take all of these abstract thoughts that I have with my music to try to make you understand my train of thought with my music.
Do you set up DJ sets that you run through at certain parties?
I've never had a DJ set setup before. All feel. All spur of the moment. I choose the song that I'm going to play next during the song that is currently playing
How do you feel about other DJs?
How do I feel about other DJs? They're awesome. I'd love to see any DJ perform. If I'm at a hip-hop show, and everyone's chillin', if there's a DJ spinning the show has already started for me.
So I heard there was another DJ Joaquin. You guys are brothers I hear. Is that like some sort of tag-team duo action?
Well, It all started out- ::laughs:: no not really. I've never met the guy, but I've probably been asked if that was me 3 or 4 times. He's a pretty good DJ. He's nothing like me though.. he does house/transe stuff.
Top 3 songs you've been requested and turned down:
1. Lil Mama- Lip Gloss
2. Soulja Boy- Yahh Trick Yahh (I told 'em I would play it but never really played it)
3. Any Kotton Mouth Kings, even though I do love weed.
So let's try this again. Who are you and why should I get to know you?
DJ Walks. You should get to know me because I think my DJing is different than other DJs I've heard. I'm not out there to DJ a party to get a girl to start shakin' her ass. I really want you to get lost in the music. I want to be a DJ you listen to when you're driving in your car bobbing your head to every track.
Final thought? Any shoutouts?
Ka$ino Gang. Check out their music as well as their music from
P Haze. And the homey Neal. Not you, Neal. A much cooler Neal. My Jerry Springer Final thought of the day is "smoke weed everyday".


1 comment:

  1. haha dope
    except i dont know about the sirens
    they bring back bad memories
    haha

    ReplyDelete